Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Meeting up with "my" two girls

   It was mid March and I was fortunate enough to meet two Zvannieki girls - "my" girls as I think of them. I met them when they were under a year old and lived with them while they grew from two to five and are now approaching their 10th birthday! What joy!
  The girl on the left enjoys sports and loves animals. There is not an animal she will not pick up to cuddle. She has a generous spirit and enjoys making and giving gifts to others.
   The girl on the right sings like an angel - she recently was invited to participate in a singing competition for children of Vidzeme, Latvia. She said she was not sure she would enjoy singing for that many people. Not only did she overcome her fear, but she sang beautifully and placed third in the competition!
  That is why I support the Zvannieki family - an attempt is made to discern each child's gift and help them to develop that gift. Look upon this as an invitation to help discern and develop children's gifts,  perhaps especially so if they are not the best or even close to the best in their field. A sense of competency in a field - even if it is as simple as loving animals - helps a child develop their sense of self and more importantly raises their self-esteem.
  I say to these girls - you go girls! You're awesome! I love you!
  What child will you say that to today?